As a dancer it is so hard to pick a song for your talent routine. Sometimes the beat is perfect, but the lyrics aren’t appropriate or sometimes the lyrics are perfect but the song is just boring. So if you’re stuck on what songs you should be dancing to, I am here to help you out. Throughout my pageant career I have danced jazz, tap, and lyrical and have been through so many songs. Here is my top ten list of the best songs to dance to in a pageant talent. Want more help with your talent? Check out Pageant Talent: the Complete Guide!
Miss America 2017 Savvy Shields. Photo: Miss America Organization
Best Songs for Dance Pageant Talent
10. "Music Box" by Regina Spektor- This song is perfect for a character ballet. It is entertaining and has the perfect music box song for the back ground of her beautiful voice. This would be a very entertaining and cute talent routine, especially for teen contestants. So get on your pointe shoes and break out the tutu!
9. "Get Up Offa That Thing" by James Brown- Miss America 2013 Mallory Hagan rocked the stage with a tap routine to this song at Miss America 2013. She was a crowd favorite and you could feel the energy with this song. This song could be used for a tap or jazz dance.
Miss America 2013 Mallory Hagan during the talent competition at Miss America 2013. Photo: David Becker/Getty Images North America
8. "Alabaster Box" by Cece Winans- This is a great song for a lyrical dance. It is a very emotional song and you can let your love for God shine through with your passion when dancing to this song. This song worked for Heather Wells, Miss Ohio 2013, a talent preliminary winner at Miss Ohio.
7. "Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend"- This song is a classic. Jazz or tap to this song with a flashy costume and you are sure to grab the audience’s attention. The true glitzy pageant girl can really work this song, while being a total diva.
6. "All That Jazz" from Chicago- Here is a great classic Broadway song for a jazz dance or musical theater dance. Most of the songs from the musical Chicago have some spice to them, so pick up a top hat as part of your costume and get out there and work it.
5. "You Can’t Stop the Beat" from Hairspray- You can’t go wrong with this song for a high energy dance. Most people know this song and won’t be able to stop tapping their toes in their seats.
4. "Riverdance"- Any Celtic song will be perfect for your next clogging routine. When doing a clogging routine, be sure that your song has a lot of energy and if you are Irish, it can be a great way to show off your heritage.
3. "Canned Heat"- I know I danced to this song in my dance recital back when I was younger. Bring this well known song back and have the judges dancing in their seats.
2. "Dream" by Priscilla Ahn- Walt Disney once said, “If you can dream it you can do it!” Dance your way to your dream crown with this beautiful lyrical, contemporary, or ballet song.
Miss America 2006 Jennifer Berry. Photo: Miss America Organization
1. "Let Go" by Frou Frou- This song is haunting, in a good way, because of the rhythm in the background. It is smooth and calming and starts off softer and grows as the music goes on. Try this song with a lyrical or contemporary dance and you’ll be able to feel the music right away.
These are just a few of possible pageant talent dance songs. The search never stops as new music comes out, but going with a classic song that everyone knows will never hurt because sometimes people just want to hear a throwback song. Comment below with your pageant dance song.
"One interesting fact about myself is that I am extremely empathetic. I use to think it was a weakneLearn More