Steven Roddy, Founder of Pageant Planet
Nothing is more discouraging for the audience, girls competing and the directors than showing up to a pageant and having 4 girls competing. But, this kind of thing goes on all the time. Even in the Miss America organization that is the longest running, arguably one of the most prestigious pageants has state competitions where 6 girls are competing for the title. That isn’t a slam, its just tells me that if they are having problems than the majority of pageant directors are having problems with their pageant marketing strategies.
Well, I want to help you market your pageant to more girls.
For 2 reasons actually: First if I help you get more girls involved in your pageant than that is more pageant girls whom I can serve therefore that will mean more traffic for PageantPlanet.com.
Secondly, I have paid advertising opportunities on PageantPlanet.com starting at FREE. You can unlock those free features by creating an account on Pageant Planet and then adding your pageant to our directory, if it's not already listed.
10 Free Pageant Advertising Ideas
- Pageant Calendars – There are dozens of pageant calendars on many pageant websites where you could list your pageant event. You can list your next pageant on our calendar and it's 100% free to do so. But, we are not the only one. Simply Google “pageant calendars” and then submit your pageant to all the online calendars.
- Pageant Directories – Pageant Planet has a directory where you can list your pageant and gain exposure to tens of thousands of girls looking for pageants in their area. Click here to submit your pageant for free. Be sure to include all the girls who competed in your pageant especially if that girl is now competing in other systems. Your pageant will be tied to her profile so you can indirectly market yourself.
- Business Directories – Your pageant is a business and girls might stumble upon it and sign up. I would suggest looking to Google and typing in "Business Directories" to get started. List your pageant everywhere from Yelp to Google Businesses. At the bare minimum create a FaceBook Fan Page and a Google+ Page.
- Pageant Advice – Share your pageant advice here on PageantPlanet.com by commenting on the posts of the article. Put your Pageant Name as your name and gain free publicity as you weigh in on topics that 1,000s of pageant girls read. The quicker you comment the more free publicity you will receive.
- Interviews – Get your titleholders interviews! Get her on the nightly news, inside the newspapers, and have us interview her. Many pageants think that just because she is interviewed after she is crowned then the media is no longer interested but you can cause the media to continue to be interested by emailing them regarding every appearance she does. Your titleholder is your spokesmodel so get her out there to promote your pageant.
- Strategic Partnerships – Connect with modeling agencies, sororities, dance teams, cheerleading camps and high schools to get their girls to come out and compete for your pageant. Girls involved in those activities are your demographic. Partnering up with these organizations will create win-win situations. For the agencies offer to cross promote: you send your girls to their agency and they send their models to your pageant.
- Instagram / FaceBook / YouTube – You don't need expensive live streaming equipment. With the right angles you can live stream your whole pageant, including behind the scenes shots, with the free app. You can also live stream your pageant through our Fan Page and reach 250,000+ people with a click of a button. Create a free account to unlock this feature.
- Press Release – Write up a press release and submit it to the local newspaper and magazines. I would not, however, suggest PR Web. I've tried this several times, spent hundreds of dollars and saw zero return on my investment.
- News Media – Ask friends of friends to get a spotlight on the nightly news and on various radio stations. Many of these media outlets used to let me go on there all the time when I owned an arena football team to promote my games because it added value to the city. Your pageant can provide equal value so you can get on there just as easily.
- Integrity – Treat your girl right. If you do not she will tell others. Unfortunately, I often here about girls not receiving their scholarship money, being mistreated during appearances, and fighting with their directors. If you treat your girl’s right they will give positive word of mouth press. If you don’t they will definitely give negative word of mouth press!
4 Paid Pageant Advertising Ideas
- Website – Now a website will cost you some money upfront but the payout is residual. A website that is designed professionally and easy to navigate is critical for your conversions. But, what is more important that the way your website looks is if people can find it in the search engines. Website design is a 2-fold process that needs to encompass a professional design and SEO (search engine optimization).
- Production – The reason a lot of girls don’t take new pageants serious is the fact that most of them are unprofessional. Your pageant is a production and if the production sucks then girls are not going to want to participate. The reason why the Miss USA, National American Miss and Miss America pageant has such strong numbers is that their pageants are very professionally run.
- Pageant Experience – Give the girls whom are competing in your pageant gifts. Give them goodies. This will really set you apart from the other pageants and girls will spread the word for you. If you compete here, you will always get some good prizes.
- Pageant Planet – We have various ways that you can advertise your pageant from social media shoutouts to girls applying for your pageant directly from this website. Create an account to unlock our different features.
My hope is that this post answers your question of “How to do I market my pageant?” If you have other suggestions on pageant advertising leave a comment below so we can all be more successful!