Preliminary competition for the 2017 Miss USA Pageant. Photo: Las Vegas Review Journal
One of the most exciting articles of clothing that a woman can wear is an evening gown. No other form of clothing contains the level of femininity, drama and personality that an evening gown does. And, when you do put that gown on, a transformation occurs. A lot of times a girl will say that she feels like a princess or a Hollywood movie star when she puts on a great evening gown. But, the best gowns of all make a girl feel like the most beautiful version of herself, not someone else. (Read: How to Match Your Lip Color With Your Evening Gown)
This is probably why finding the perfect wedding dress is such a major thing for most brides. The dress does not just need to be pretty, or formal, or white. The dress needs to complement and express the individuality of the woman who is wearing it. And, the same is true of any evening gown that is being worn for a special occasion, like a pageant. Pageants are all about showcasing the wonderful and unique attributes of each contestant and the evening gown portion is where each woman demonstrates her own individual style, elegance and grace through her choice of a gown. And, when the right girl meets the right gown for her, it is magical!
The following evening gowns were chosen by the readers of Pageant Planet as the top 10 Miss evening gowns of 2017. Enjoy the magic!
10. Miss Greenfield 2017, Macy Garner This icy blue confection is so fresh and pretty on Miss Greenfield 2017, Macy Garner, that it is no wonder that she won the title wearing it. She was fortunate to be able to design this dress with the one and only Tony Bowls, which is one of the reasons that the fit of this gown is flawless.
The color is the first thing that catches your attention, and I have to say that this was a perfect choice to complement Garner’s luxurious dark locks and creamy skin tone. The sweetheart v-neckline is so flattering, and the three-quarter-length sleeves were quite unexpected, as you do not often see them on a formal evening gown. (Read: How to Pop in Pastel Blue for Pageants)
It also contains a column silhouette with an overskirt, which has been one of the most popular styles in the past couple of years. But what separates this gown from so many other similar dresses is that it has a lot of texture throughout. The column gown is made with a lovely beaded lace material and the overskirt is cut from a stunning satin fabric and highlighted with pieces of the same lace to break up the solid color. This really is a very unique creation and it obviously made an impression at the pageant, as did the woman who wore it.
Miss Greenfield 2017, Macy Garner. Photo: Darren Lykes
9. Miss Santa Monica USA 2017, Alyssa Klinzing Miss Santa Monica USA 2017, Alyssa Klinzing, wore this fascinating black evening gown when she won the Miss Santa Monica USA competition. Although she did not end up winning the Miss California USA pageant when she competed, her third runner-up position is still prestigious, and she looked spectacular then as well. It’s very difficult to tell at first glance, but this gown is not just black. It has a fascinating netted fabric that is spun through with a luscious purple shade. And, as you look even closer, you will see that the fabric is also shot through with beading throughout, so it’s quite unusual. (Read: 10 Reasons You Should NOT Wear a Black Evening Gown)
This gown is a column gown and the bodice has a sweetheart v-neckline and tank style sleeves, which keep it from getting too busy since the fabric is so remarkable. To top it off, an overskirt of shining black fabric is connected to the base gown with a beaded purple belt. It is really quite something, and she kind of reminds me of an elegant, gloriously shimmering purple mermaid! Black can be worn by every woman, but it is so crucial that you understand cut, silhouette and fabric when choosing a black gown. And, this young lady completely mastered how to wear black in a way that suits her figure, her age and her personality perfectly!
Alyssa Klinzing, Miss Santa Monica USA 2017. Photo: Alyssa Klinzing
8. Miss World Philippines 2017, Laura Lehmann This gown floored me the first time that I saw it, so I am so happy that our readers appreciated it as well. It is so outrageously original that you need to take your time looking at it. At its foundation, it is a strapless satin column gown with gathers at the waist that is reminiscent of something a starlet from the 1950s would have worn to a movie premiere. Then, layers of fabric are arranged in a soft asymmetrical peplum. A billowing ballgown style overskirt cascades over the entire dress, completing the look. (Read: Top 10 Red Pageant Dresses of 2017)
Designer Mark Bumgarner made this stunner for Miss World Philippines 2017, Laura Lehmann, to wear at the Miss World pageant, and I know it was a magical moment for her as she explained on her Instagram account. "It’s the most beautiful dress that I’ve ever worn. Besides designing my dress, he was always there to take care of me and to remind me to 'feel' my gown – to make sure it wasn't just a dress but rather a part of me when I walked. He also told me that the real secret was just to have fun – as everyone should!"
Miss World Philippines 2017, Laura Lehmann. Photo: MALL OF ASIA ARENA on Twitter
7. Miss Wales Supranational 2017, Rachael Tate The first thing that I must say is that this photo does not do this gown justice at all. There are so many minute details and embellishments throughout the entire creation that it is impossible to fully appreciate them all unless you look very closely. This dazzling golden gown is the work of Almodal Couture, which is run and managed by the creative director and fashion designer Leo Almodal. Almodal is a veteran fashion designer who was raised in a family of tailors and dressmakers. Because he comes from a long line of tailors, he understands that the internal structure of a gown is its foundation, more so than most modern designers. And if the internal structure is done correctly, a woman’s figure will be flattered, her curves will be defined and she will feel and look like a goddess. (Read: Secret Styling Tips For Pageant Gowns)
And, no doubt, Miss Wales Supranational 2017, Rachael Tate, looks like a glimmering, golden goddess who has left her celestial home to grace us with her glamorous presence. Embellishments like rhinestones, sequins and beading can either make or break an evening gown. This jaw-dropping work of art was made with perfection as its goal. All of the stones and sequins were strategically placed along the neckline and down the center of gown to enhance the curves of the body. The embellishments are continued again along the bottom and train of the skirt. The finishing touch is the fabric that is draped from each shoulder, which adds to the drama and mystique of this couture piece.
Miss Wales Supranational 2017, Rachael Tate. Photo: Miss Supranational Facebook page
6. Miss Hawaii USA 2017, Julie Kuo The much sought-after pageant gown designer, Joey Galon Atelier designed this custom tangerine silk Swarovski crystal gown for Miss Hawaii USA 2017, Julie Kuo, to wear during the Miss USA pageant. It’s so exciting to see orange becoming popular in pageantry because it is such a vibrant, knock-out color and really stands out in the sea of white, black and primary colored gowns that typically grace the stage at competitions.
Kuo certainly did stand out brilliantly in this unusual, custom creation. The bodice of the gown is covered in clear and orange multi-colored beads and rhinestones, and the waist is cinched by a wide, banded belt. The tropical colored silk chiffon skirt flows over her legs but is broken up by two hip-high slits. The design is completed by a matching orange chiffon cape that cascades dramatically down her shoulders. (Read: 5 Must-Haves You Need to Keep Backstage at Any Pageant)
Miss Hawaii USA 2017, Julie Kuo. Photo: Joey Galon Instagram
5. Miss Collegiate America 2017, Leona Koxha Miss Collegiate America 2017, Leona Koxha, wore this angelic cream and nude lace gown when she won her national title. This dress could have been forgettable since so many girls wear ivory or white when competing, but not only does Koxha look sensational in it, but the gown itself is quite special. First of all, this certain shade of cream sets off her tanned skin and dark hair and eyes to perfection.
The use of the delicate cream lace over the nude fabric on the column gown combined with the smooth creamy overskirt makes this gown elegant and exquisite. She just absolutely looks like a queen in this dress, and obviously, the judges thought so, too! (Read: 5 Fashion Forward and Modest Gowns For Your Next Pageant)
Leona Koxha, Miss Collegiate America 2017. Photo: Denise Jane Portrait Design, Inc./Leona Koxha Instagram
4. Miss New York USA 2017, Hannah Lopa Jewel tones will always be a popular choice for evening gowns because the colors are pleasing to the eye and they are flattering on most people. But, this gown took the jewel tone trend to another level. Miss New York USA 2017, Hannah Lopa, is a woman who knows what works for her and she is working this look. She wore a similar gown when she won her state title, and she must have thought,"if it’s not broke, don’t try and fix it," because she donned yet another emerald green creation for nationals. Lopa is a ravishing redhead, and emerald is always an enticing choice to complement that particular coloring.
But, this gown’s fabric is not just emerald. It is an alluring blend of various shades of green beading arranged into a vine and floral pattern over nude netting. The fabric is quite transparent, and the lingerie styled straps add to the sultry look. This look is not for everyone, but this queen managed to pull it off while looking confidently beautiful! (Read: How To Compete In A Pageant With Confidence)
Miss New York USA 2017, Hannah Lopa. Photo: Nick Verreos Blog
3. Miss Georgia 2017, Alyssa Beasley Miss Georgia 2017, Alyssa Beasley, wore this gorgeous white gown for the Miss Georgia America pageant, which she ended up winning. But, she also wore the same gown for the Miss America pageant, where she placed in the top 12. I am so glad that she made the top 12, otherwise we might not have ever seen this incredible creation. When I was watching the Miss America pageant and she stepped onto the stage wearing this gown, there was a collective, “Wow!” from everyone around me. The reaction was not just because this gown has a tremendous amount of sex appeal, which it does, but it was more because of how boldly original and creative it is. My personal preference for showing skin is to do it in a balanced way.
For instance, if you are going to wear something with a low neckline, then keep your legs more covered. If you are going to wear an outfit that is going to reveal a substantial amount of leg, then be more covered up on the top half of your body. But, this gown kind of broke all of my rules in the best way possible! It is a white jersey material with long, split sleeves, a plunging neckline and a slit that reaches her upper thigh. It is accented with gold and burgundy beading around the waistband and cuffs. White is an outstanding color for Beasley, as it was the color of choice for her swimsuit, as well. (Read: What is Too Sexy For a Pageant Queen?)
Her shimmering bronzed skin peeking through certainly makes this an edgy choice for Miss America, however, because the cut of the gown is so refined and tasteful, she just looks absolutely divine! Because this gown is so fashion forward and so creatively out of the box, it was truly one of my most favorite evening gowns of the entire year!
Miss Georgia 2017, Alyssa Beasley. Photo: Alyssa Beasley Instagram
2. Miss Earth United States 2017, Andreia Gibau Miss Earth United States 2017, Andreia Gibau, made the top 16 at the national Miss Earth pageant while shining like a sapphire, in this gorgeous, one-of-a-kind gown. The deeply saturated shade of blue is unbelievable against her skin, and the amount of embellishment made her shimmer with every move that she made. Not just any woman could pull off a gown this over-the-top, but Gibau is radiant in it.
It has a body-conscious cut with vertical liquid beading down its length and blue rhinestone fringe that dances down past her shoulders. A sapphire blue beaded choker collar is the on-trend finish to this phenomenal piece. (Read: How to Style a Choker Style Evening Gown)
Miss Earth United States 2017, Andreia Gibau. Photo: Andreia Gibau Instagram
1. Miss Missouri 2017, Jennifer Leigh Davis Usually, black gowns do not top the list of favorites for most people, but this gown is unlike any other. It was worn by Miss Missouri 2017, Jennifer Leigh Davis, when she competed in the Miss America pageant. As mentioned previously, black is a popular color because it is thought to be slimming, but it can be aging and sometimes nondescript if the fabric is plain or the cut is unexceptional. This gown is none of that. In fact, the more I look at this gown, the more I like it.
The cut is very unusual in that it has a high, jewel neckline and long sleeves. Again, this particular cut could add years to a younger woman, but the fabric and the silhouette are what makes this dress so spectacular. I don’t know what this fabric is exactly, but it looks otherworldly. The fit is superb in fact and looks like it was poured onto her body. The gown is covered from top to bottom with black beading and arranged into a series of intricate patterns that complement her curves.
This was the ideal choice for Davis, and she is beaming with confidence as a result. She is an exceptionally talented and intelligent woman, and I believe that this gown allowed the judges to see just how special she is because she ended up becoming the first runner-up to Miss America. Like I said, when the right girl meets the right gown for her, it is magical! (Read: How to Style Makeup With a Black Evening Gown)
Miss Missouri 2017, Jennifer Davis. Photo: Hollywood Life Website
Now, wasn’t that fun? Did you enjoy all that incredible sparkle, lace, sequins and fringe as much as I did? These titleholders looked radiant in each of their chosen couture creations, and you could see how each gown flatters and highlights each girl’s unique attributes.
We would like to give the readers of Pageant Planet a great big thank you for taking the time to vote on the top 10 Miss evening gowns of 2017. And, we would also like to congratulate the lovely ladies who made this list. You’ve been an inspiration to us all! If you are searching for a gown for an upcoming pageant or special event, please take a few moments to browse through our online Dress Directory. You are sure to discover all kinds of treasures that would be perfect for you and your next occasion. What did you think of these gowns? We'd love to read your comments!
Inspires and transforms through S.T.E.P.S. Parental Engagement Program & ThickHealth.orgLearn More